There is little scientific research documenting the detoxifying effects of Epsom salt, and you can read many articles claiming that it draws out toxins from your body and relaxes your muscles and so on…
But…I find that when I’m feeling like a cold is coming on, or I’m just feeling run down, soaking in a bath of Epsom salts and adding essential oils really helps my mood and alleviates aches and pains. Whether it’s the mix of essential oils and the benefits of the magnesium mineral that your body soaks up, I don’t know, but I always feel much better for it. It certainly can’t harm you and adding a face mask on as well elevates the experience.
- Make sure you buy quality Epsom salt and look for USP on the label, which means it’s been tested for human use.
- Add 2 cups of the salt to running water and don’t skimp on the amount.
- Soak in the bath for a minimum of 10 mins, ideally for 20-30 mins.
- If I feel a cold coming on, I’ll add a few drops of Eucalyptus and lemon to the water and for total relaxation, I add a few drops of lavender and rose.
- The mask I use is from A’kin and is a blend of natural, Australian sourced ingredients or I mix yoghurt and honey and slap that on my face.
With the flu season and the crazy holiday season just around the corner, make sure you give your self a though and do your body a favour.