Detoxing your Bathroom
The average household contains about 62 toxic chemicals. Many of these are cleaning products, air fresheners, laundry detergents, beauty products…oh and don’t get me started on shampoos! Let’s just start with the stuff you clean the bathroom with.
Toss it out checklist:
- Air Fresheners
- Bleach and bleach products (disinfectant wipes, sprays, toilet cleaners)
- Vinyl/plastic shower curtains
- Anti-Bacterial Hand soap or Soap that has 20 ingredients that you can’t pronounce.
- Why toss it out?
- Air Fresheners usually contain VOC (volatile organic compound), Phthalates, benzene or formaldehyde. These chemicals can cause headaches, nausea, cancer, hormonal issues and reproductive issues. So you don’t want to be breathing any of that in a confined space!
- Did you know scientists use face masks, gloves and a ventilated room when handling bleach. If you mix Bleach with Alcohol it becomes Chloroform, oh and Bleach and Vinegar becomes a Toxic Gas! So I’m guessing it’s not great to have around the house.
- PVC Shower curtains contains high levels of Phthalates as well as many other VOC’s that are hazardous air pollutants. These chemicals mess with your hormones, reproductive system and can cause asthma, cancer and behavioral issues.
- Check to see if your soap contains Triclosan, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Parabens, Ureas, Fragrance..in fact there is a whole list of chemicals that is probably in that little bar or bottle of soap and a lot of these ingredients, soak into that large organ of yours and cause damage without you knowing.
- Instead of a chemical Air Fresheners burn some essential oils – like lemongrass or something citrus. You can buy electric or candle burners pretty much anywhere.
- Instead of Bleach use a Chlorine-free Bleach (which is Hydrogen Peroxide and water)
- The Hand soap I love is – A La Maison a liquid soap that has natural ingredients you can read and understand and it doesn’t dry your hands and it smells so good!
- Open a window and get air flowing through your bathroom, a damp bathroom will start to grow mold.
- Cleaning products by law don’t need to list their full ingredients and why would they want to? It’s probably full of toxic chemicals they don’t want you to know about.
- I have made a list of cleaning products you can choose from that isn’t toxic and has great ratings from EWG of mainly A’s..I double checked the ingredients and made sure it has no bad stuff in it and also steered clear of any products that have a slight relation to cancer or endocrine disruption.