The place where you hangout watching the NFL with friends, have movie night with kids or catch up on G.O.T on the sofa with a glass of wine. The Living Room could be harboring a blend of toxic chemicals that you’re breathing in and you didn’t even know about.
“The following products are just a few that are so toxic that they should be disposed of in a toxic waste dump: Floor care products, Furniture polish, Window cleaners and Bug spray”(Source: Water Pollution Control Federation)
Most of these we use in the living room, so I’ve created a list of things that are easy to get rid of and make your inside air quality much healthier to breathe.
DETOXING YOUR LIVING ROOM
Toss it out
- Air Fresheners
- Scented Candles
- Change your HVAC Filters
- Sofa with TB 117 label (which you can find on the base or under the cushions.
Why Toss It Out?
- Air Freshers contain a concoction of Formaldehyde, Petroleum distillates, 1,4 Dichlorobenzene and aerosol propellants as well as fragrance, preservatives and Glycol Ethers. What that means to you and I is that these chemicals have been linked to Asthma, Hormone disruptors and cancer.
- Regular scented candles are usually made from Paraffin a by-product of Petroleum, which then undergoes a process of bleaching, coloring and adding a chemical fragrance to make it appealing to the consumer. Which results in a toxic product that you breathe and poisons the air.
- By changing your air filter every 3 months you are helping to eliminate breathing in dust, pollen, mold spores, pet dander and dust mite debris. Make sure you change to a filter with a MERV rating of 8 and up.
- Sofas with the TB 117 label will most definitely have flame retardants (PBDE) used in the manufacturing process. What’s bad about it? Scientists have found that exposure to toxic fire-retardant chemicals at critical points of development can damage the reproductive system, cause a change in motor skills, learning, memory and behavior.
- Vacuum your sofa daily to get rid of dust.
- Keep floors dust free (dust can harbor a cocktail of toxic chemicals) and make sure you use a damp cloth on your T.V and all electronics as these may contain flame retardants.
- Fill your house with Plants recommended by NASA as they will help filter Benzene, Formaldehyde and Trichloroethylene and a few other chemicals. (See my quick house plant guide)
- Use Bees Wax candles (which supposedly cleans the air as they burn) or 100% organic soy candles.
- Use a vaporizer and burn essential oils instead of using toxic air fresheners (Or check out my air freshener category for safer types)
- And last but not least, Ventilation is so important in clearing the air and improving indoor air quality.